Hollywood-Burbank Airport Authority Purchases Airport from Lockheed 1978
Standing in front of the air control tower, Hollywood-Burbank Airport Authority commissioners (from left to right) Joseph N. Baker, J. C. Schwarzenbach, Hugh McKinley, Robert W. Garcin, Carl Meseck, Authority president William B. Rudell, Lockheed executive Vincent N. Marafino, commissioner Leland Ayers, and Lockheed Air Terminal president David Simmons commemorate the sale of the Hollywood-Burbank Airport by Lockheed to the Authority on June 29, 1978. The commissioners and the Lockheed executives hold a propeller with a plaque affixed that reads, “Dedicated as a tribute to the valor of the air heroes of the World War, Memorial Day 1930,” while Commissioner Ayers holds a sign that reads, “Save HBA.” The $51 million purchase of the airport by the tri-city agency representing the cities of Burbank, Glendale, and Pasadena was the culmination of a five-year effort by Lockheed to sell the privately held facility, at the time the last privately owned airport to serve commercial flights, according to the June 25, 1978, Los Angeles Times. Later that year, the name would be changed to Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport. Note on back of photo: “June 29, 1978 Cities own airport.”
2627 N Hollywood Way, Burbank, CA 91505
Burbank (Los Angeles County, Calif.)AirportsAirport control towersMunicipal officials and employeesPropellersMenSuits (clothing)Signs and signboards1970sBob Hope Airport (Los Angeles County, Calif.)Ayers, Leland C.Rudell, William B.
4 x 5 b&w print
City Clerk's Office
MODS XML metadata • Dublin Core XML metadata