1940s - City Hall Judge's Library
An interior view of a judge’s library inside Burbank City Hall in the 1940s. The city’s municipal and police courts operated out of City Hall until 1954, when the newly constructed Los Angeles County Courthouse opened across the street and the courts' functions were moved to the new facility. City Hall was designed by architects William Allen and W. George Lutzi in the Streamline Moderne style, a type of Art Deco architecture (also sometimes described as “WPA Moderne”) that became popular in the 1930s and 1940s. Ground was broken across the street from the old city hall in 1941 and construction was completed in 1943. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. Notes on rear of photo: "4534-1. 363. City Hall - Judges Library circa 1940's".
275 E Olive Ave, Burbank, CA 91502
Burbank (Los Angeles County, Calif.)City HallsBookshelvesBooksChairsOffice furnitureTablesArchitectureInterior DecorLibrariesMunicipal courtsBuildings--Civic1940s
7½ x 9½ b&w print
Burbank Public Library, Burbank in Focus Office
City Clerk's Office
MODS XML metadata • Dublin Core XML metadata