Aerial View of Stough Canyon Park and Landfill 1950s
An aerial view of Stough Canyon Park, the Starlight Bowl, and the adjacent landfill. The Bowl can be seen in the top third of the frame, near the center. According to the Burbank Parks and Recreation Department, Stough Canyon Park originated in 1916 as a gift to the city of over 128 acres to be used exclusively as public parkland from real estate developer Oliver J. Stough. Improvement of the upper portion, known as “Inspiration Point,” began in 1934 and, by 1950, included facilities for picnics and camping as well as a wading pool. Many of the facilities were removed in 1958 when the city appropriated additional surrounding land and construction of the nearby DeBell golf course commenced. Construction of the Starlight Theatre began in 1950 as a permanent facility to replace an open air performance space that had been used since 1935, and was dedicated in June of 1951. It was officially renamed the Starlight Bowl in 1957.
Burbank (Los Angeles County, Calif.)1950sAerial photographsPark facilitiesMountainsRoads
7¾ x 9½ b&w negative
City Clerk's Office
MODS XML metadata • Dublin Core XML metadata