You are here

Burbank Public Photos Collection

Photos donated to the collection by Burbank residents and others.


"Burbank Evolves" at Courthouse Parking Structure
Photo of the Burbank Courthouse parking structure and the sculpture "Burbank Evolves" taken shortly after their construction in 1994. The finished 30-ton cast-concrete "Burbank Evolves," dedicated in August 1994, portrays a history of Burbank from 1542 to 1942. According to the Los Angeles Times, the work was created by Tony Sheets in six weeks at a cost of $27,000. It was funded by the city's Art in Public Places Ordinance requiring new commercial, industrial or public projects of more than $500,000 to spend at least 1% of their budget for public art. "Burbank Evolves" is part of the $3.2-million 500-space Burbank Courthouse parking structure at the corner of 3rd St. and Angeleno Ave., which opened in May 1994.
350 North Avon Street
Photo of house on the corner of N. Avon St. and W. Oak St. taken in 1926.
Boys and Girls Club
Boys playing pool at the new Boys and Girls Club. An old firehouse on Buena Vista Street was converted into a Boys & Girls Club, where community members donated their time and talent, walls got painted, shelves got mounted, staff was hired, and the Main Club site was born and became home to about 75 kids (Boys and Girls Club of Burbank website).
Boys and Girls Club
Two girls pose for a picture while using the computers at the new Boys and Girls Club. An old firehouse on Buena Vista Street was converted into a Boys & Girls Club.
Brigadoon Costuming 1966
Costumer Elaine Paonessa and actress Melody Santangelo adjust the traditional Scottish costume of actor Robert Zwissler in a publicity photo for the musical "Brigadoon." The Burbank Civic Light Opera staged "Brigadoon" at the Starlight Bowl in July 1966. It was the 35th light opera performed by the group since its founding in 1946. According to the Los Angeles Times, the success of "Brigadoon" ensured the continuation of Broadway-style musicals at the Starlight Bowl, which had been experiencing waning attendance at the events in recent years. In a situation that resulted in local press coverage, a performance on July 15, 1966 to benefit Republican candidates in an upcoming election was cancelled after an announcement from Burbank City Attorney Samuel Gorlick that partisan political activity was prohibited at the Starlight Bowl.
Burbank Baby and Dog 1920s
Photo of a baby in a stroller and a dog outside 421 N. Valencia in Burbank in 1925 or 1926. The baby is identified as Orville in another photo from the same series.
Burbank Children 1920s
Photo of children outside their home at 421 N. Valencia Ave. in Burbank in 1925 or 1926. In the photo, a girl identified as Helen is propping up a baby identified as Orv.
Burbank County Courts Building Remodel
Photo of Burbank County Courts Building being remodeled in 1994. According to the Los Angeles Times, the courthouse was remodeled at a cost of $7.9 million and included new offices for the district attorney and public defender, a new Superior Court room, a new Municipal Court room, clerk's offices, a jury facility and an expanded prisoner holding cell. The refurbished building was rededicated December 19, 1994.
Burbank Municipal Court Staff
Christmas photo of the Burbank Municipal Court staff, likely taken in the 1980s. On the bottom row, left to right: Judge Alan Kalkin, Evelyn Glenn, Judge Marion Gubler, and Burbank Municipal Court Commissioner Dennis Shanklin.
Burbank Municipal Courtroom Dedication 1994
[Left to right:] Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich, Burbank Municipal Court judge Alan Kalkin, L.A. County Superior Court judge David M. Schacter and Burbank Municipal Court judge Marion Gubler, holding a plaque at the Burbank Courthouse dedication, December 19, 1994. According to the Los Angeles Times, the courthouse was remodeled at a cost of $7.9 million and included new offices for the district attorney and public defender, a new Superior Court room, a new Municipal Court room, clerk's offices, a jury facility and an expanded prisoner holding cell.
Burbank Municipal Courtroom Dedication 1994
Burbank Municipal Court judge Marion Gubler, court administrator Evelyn Glenn, and Burbank Municipal Court judge Alan Kalkin at the Burbank Courthouse dedication, December 19, 1994. According to the Los Angeles Times, the courthouse was remodeled at a cost of $7.9 million and included new offices for the district attorney and public defender, a new Superior Court room, a new Municipal Court room, clerk's offices, a jury facility and an expanded prisoner holding cell.
Burbank Planing Mill 1924
Photo of crew at Burbank Planing Mill, located at the corner of Olive Ave. and Front St. Notes on the photo identify some of the men: Claude Newman [far left], Lawrence McDowell [center], and Wil Bean [third from right].

Pages